Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hairy Situations

JUST FOR ME!

I decided a couple weeks ago that I would grow my perm out. Yes, that's right, I'm making the transition back to my natural hair. I have had a perm since I was about 8 years old. I don't have anything against perms or relaxers but I thought it would be a good change for me to get back to my roots.

My plan for a smooth transition includes weekly shampoos followed by a deep conditioner and a leave-in conditioner. I recently discovered my ability to produce a really good flexi rod set, and I've always been really good at roller sets (Thanks to my Mom not allowing me to own a curling iron until I was 18), so I'll be wearing my hair in those styles for a while. My hair will get a trim every 6 weeks. As of right now, I do not plan on getting the "Big Chop". I might change my mind, who knows! Right now I'm just so excited about finding out about the real me.

Two Things:

1: This is a lot of work! I've been going to the salon my entire life and I never realized how much it takes to do your hair. I have to be aware of the products that I'm using, and trust me THAT is a full-time job by itself. My current rotation of products include KeraCare's shampoo system and deep conditioner. I also use their styling spritz. I decided to go with Cantu's Shea Butter leave-in conditioner, and a LustraSilk moisturizer. I'm sure that I'll be swapping products in and out as my hair grows.

2. This hair will be the.best.thing.ever. this summer! All that easy, breezy, beautiful hair, soaking up all that vitamin D makes me smile! Not to mention the bohemian chic-ness that will be a direct result of my transition - you gotta love it!

I'll start posting pics soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey girl, I transitioned 13months ago. IT was rough...one site that allowed me to keep strong and take care of my natural hair while preserving my relaxed ends was "http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6" you use terms like "big chop" so im assuming that you might already have some knowledge of the site, but if not, its an awesome place to start.
I know you will enjoy the feeling of un-processed hair!

xo
Lena-Lo